In older homes it is common to have an old electrical panel vacated and a new one installed at a nearby location.. At this particular home inspection I came across a door in the stairwell. The original panel had been removed from the enclosure space.
It may have seemed like a good idea at the time, but the photo demonstrates a homeowner DIY project that creates an unsafe situation. At this home inspection I found that a previous homeowner had taken on a remodel project in the basement.
This was the wiring that the homeowner strung from the second story of the house (maybe off a bedroom circuit?) to the garage, which was about 40 feet away.
On many of the home inspections I do on older homes, I come across knob and tube wiring that is still live but should be removed and replaced. Unfortunately, over the years, this type of system is prone to problems due to age, damage, improper alterations and deterioration.
We had a lot of snow this past winter and apparently the load exceeded the design specifications of this garage roof. Or maybe deferred maintenance caught up with structure. Whatever the case, it appears this garage is near the end of it's useful life ;-).
Your home inspector saw this as I was passing by and couldn't resist stopping and taking a picture.
I often get asked whether it is better to place a carbon monoxide detector at the ceiling or use the type that plugs into an outlet.
Even when the Home Inspector is on vacation in the Mayan Riviera, he's checking things out. Here is an example of a public beach electrical system. About half way from the edge of the jungle to the water I came across this electrical outlet in the sand. Who knows what the code is in his particular area of the Yucatan Peninsula!
When it comes to building codes, most people have an opinion, Are they there to keep us safe, or are they a nuisance? Without a doubt, building codes are a good thing. Their purpose is to ensure proper workmanship and to provide for your safety.