This inspection photo shows a 50A, 220V circuit that serviced the homes Range, Dryer and the Air conditioner, yes, all three appliances on one breaker. The junction box was hanging in mid air, was missing grommets. You may also notice limestone basement walls and a dirt floor. You can’t even begin to list all the reasons this is wrong and unsafe.
In older homes it is common to have an old electrical panel vacated and a new one installed at a nearby location.. At this particular home inspection I came across a door in the stairwell. The original panel had been removed from the enclosure space.
Not all fire hazards are as obvious or predictable. Some of these lesser known hazards are just as concerning because we don't see them coming until it's too late. Below is a list of the top ten unexpected fire hazards that may be in your home.
The electrical service drop is the point where the electrical service wiring enters the home. At this home inspection there was a rather lengthy span between the electrical pole and the service mast.
It may have seemed like a good idea at the time, but the photo demonstrates a homeowner DIY project that creates an unsafe situation. At this home inspection I found that a previous homeowner had taken on a remodel project in the basement.
It’s winter and the critters living outside are looking for a warm place to spend the winter. Your home offers everything that mice, chipmunks, and squirrels are looking for, warmth, water and food.
This was the wiring that the homeowner strung from the second story of the house (maybe off a bedroom circuit?) to the garage, which was about 40 feet away.
During a recent home inspection I came across this electrical wiring that was in contact with both a heating duct and the water heater exhaust vent.
On many of the home inspections I do on older homes, I come across knob and tube wiring that is still live but should be removed and replaced. Unfortunately, over the years, this type of system is prone to problems due to age, damage, improper alterations and deterioration.
Electrical safety is important in a home, especially if you have small children. On a recent home inspection on an older foreclosure, I came across several baseboard duplex outlets looking like the one above.
Home fires are dangerous and devastating. Each year fires cost nearly 347 billion in the United States. Costs can include medical treatment, property loss and damage, fire department costs, and lawsuits, just to name a few.
This home inspection video shows an improper exterior electrical installation. The past homeowner needed electrical power to the outside, so he went ahead and drilled a hole through a basement window frame and ran a wire through it.
In this video, you will see where a home owner has used an extension cord a permanaent wiring. The cord is run from one room to another, through the cieling and down next to the electrical panel.
Let’s get organized this spring. Make sure you add all of your digital gadgets and devices to the list. Below are a few tips that should get you on the right path to your digital spring cleaning.
In addition to the spider, I found three wires that were charred due to arcing and overheating in this electrical panel. The client told me that the electrician said he was very fortunate to have not had a fire.
During a recent home inspection I came across a power strip that was being used as permanent wiring. The power strip was twist tied and duct taped to a water line supplying an external hose faucet. The home owner was watering the lawn that day, the Air Conditioning was off and it was moderately humid.
You need not be afraid of fixing your own doorbell if it is not working. All parts of a doorbell system are low voltage 12-24 volts. All of the wiring in a doorbell system will be low voltage, and this low voltage can't really hurt you.
As a Home Inspector I frequently find exposed garage wiring that is subject to damage. You can protect wiring by placing a 1x3 board in front of them or by finishing garage walls with sheetrock or plywood. It's never a good idea to use wiring at a method of storing or hanging items in a garage.
Even when the Home Inspector is on vacation in the Mayan Riviera, he's checking things out. Here is an example of a public beach electrical system. About half way from the edge of the jungle to the water I came across this electrical outlet in the sand. Who knows what the code is in his particular area of the Yucatan Peninsula!
A Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, (GFCI), sometimes called a Ground Fault Interrupter, (GFI) is an important electrical safety device in your home. GFCI's should be installed in Kitchens, Bathrooms, and any other room with a sink, like a Laundry area, as well as Garages, Exterior Outlets, and near Pools or Hot Tubs.